PlayStation VR (PSVR) is a piece of hardware that’s been available since last November. The system is selling well since over the course of its first few months on store shelves. However, no specific numbers for PSVR’s sales are currently available. Despite reporting specific sales totals for PS4, Sony has confirmed it won’t do the same for PSVR.
When the system made its debut, some retailers were reported as having sold out of the system. This, of course, suggests PSVR is selling well, at least in some parts of the world. But the sales figures must not be that impressive if Sony is refraining from reporting exact numbers.
It is not unusual for a company to not report specific sales figures, particularly when they’re less than people might expect. Sony’s CEO Kaz Hirai provided his thoughts regarding the company’s position on reporting PSVR’s sales numbers.
“We’ve always said it’s going to be a slow start, unfortunately, we did produce a lot of units but we ran out of stock in some retailers, but I think based on reports coming out of the holiday season, we’re actually happy with the numbers…One of the reasons we’re not talking about the numbers so much is because we don’t want the numbers to take a life of their own,” Hirai told the Dailystar.
It is interesting to hear why Sony isn’t reporting exact numbers for PSVR. They have happily done that for PS4 ever since the system launched in 2013, however, PSVR is somehow different.
Personally, I believe it is because the numbers aren’t as great as people may have expected, and flaunting them in anyway would be like a child bragging about lifting a heavy suitcase at a world’s strongest man competition. In other words, it’s not that impressive.
Of course though, it is Sony’s prerogative to report sales as they see fit. Microsoft has also decided not to report sales figures for the Xbox One. PSVR has sold well, but just not in the explosive way that the original PS4 did. Stick around at We Write Things for more on PlayStation.
- Review: Tequila Ocho 2016 Puerta del Aire Plata – A Vintage Marvel - May 22, 2017
- Bungie Talks Destiny 2 On PC: It’s Not A Console Port - May 21, 2017
- Assassin’s Creed: Origins Will Be A Fresh Start For The Franchise - May 20, 2017
- Housemarque Announces Nex Machina Release Date - May 19, 2017
- Activision & Bungie Reveal Destiny 2 Gameplay, Campaign, Multiplayer & More - May 19, 2017
- Three Lazy Magnolia Beers That Will Drive You To The Liquor Store - May 19, 2017
- New Life Is Strange Game Confirmed By DONTNOD Entertainment - May 18, 2017
- Review: The Surge – For The Core, For The Dedicated - May 18, 2017
- There It Is, South Park: The Fractured But Whole Launches This October - May 17, 2017
- New We Happy Few Exclusive: Drugs, Masks & A Procedurally Generated City - May 17, 2017