PlayStation VR (PSVR) is a piece of hardware that’s been available since last November. The system is selling well since over the course of its first few months on store shelves. However, no specific numbers for PSVR’s sales are currently available. Despite reporting specific sales totals for PS4, Sony has confirmed it won’t do the same for PSVR.
When the system made its debut, some retailers were reported as having sold out of the system. This, of course, suggests PSVR is selling well, at least in some parts of the world. But the sales figures must not be that impressive if Sony is refraining from reporting exact numbers.
It is not unusual for a company to not report specific sales figures, particularly when they’re less than people might expect. Sony’s CEO Kaz Hirai provided his thoughts regarding the company’s position on reporting PSVR’s sales numbers.
“We’ve always said it’s going to be a slow start, unfortunately, we did produce a lot of units but we ran out of stock in some retailers, but I think based on reports coming out of the holiday season, we’re actually happy with the numbers…One of the reasons we’re not talking about the numbers so much is because we don’t want the numbers to take a life of their own,” Hirai told the Dailystar.
It is interesting to hear why Sony isn’t reporting exact numbers for PSVR. They have happily done that for PS4 ever since the system launched in 2013, however, PSVR is somehow different.
Personally, I believe it is because the numbers aren’t as great as people may have expected, and flaunting them in anyway would be like a child bragging about lifting a heavy suitcase at a world’s strongest man competition. In other words, it’s not that impressive.
Of course though, it is Sony’s prerogative to report sales as they see fit. Microsoft has also decided not to report sales figures for the Xbox One. PSVR has sold well, but just not in the explosive way that the original PS4 did. Stick around at We Write Things for more on PlayStation.
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017
- How South Park’s Coon and Friends Episodes Impacted South Park 2 - September 9, 2017
- Assassin’s Creed Origins Dev on Bayek and Aya Birthing the Brotherhood - September 9, 2017
- Assassin’s Creed Origins Director Calls Xbox One X Version ‘Most Beautiful Version’ - September 8, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole Embraces Farts Like Never Before - September 8, 2017
- Hands-On: Assassin’s Creed Origins Feels Incredibly Unfamiliar & That’s Amazing - September 6, 2017
- Knack 2 Shows What Sony Learned From The Order: 1886 - September 5, 2017
- Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 1 – A New Love Awakens - September 1, 2017
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a Breakout Switch Exclusive - August 28, 2017