Isn’t It Romantic? is the anti-rom-com for people who love romantic comedies. Those of us who see through the thin plot devices and the twists and turns each more unlikely than the last. It’s for the people who cringe at the trite relationships and the grand gestures, but nurse a soft spot for them anyway.
This Rebel Wilson vehicle (of which there should be more) launches a realist from the real world into the shiny happy world of romantic comedies where beautiful (but ultimately pointless) men rain from the heavens and devote their lives to sweeping “unlikely” women off their feet. The closets are glamorous, the food delicious and everyone’s rich. It sounds like a dream, until you start to peel back the realities. That leading man is vapid. Swears are a thing of the past. And so is sex. It’s all cuts to windows and pans to stars.
At a scant 88 minutes, Isn’t It Romantic? doesn’t overstay its welcome, but it does run with a high concept that works a lot more often than it fails. Liam Hemsworth proves and equal to Wilson’s brash comedic style, while Adam Devine turns on all of his
Curiously, even as it seeks to subvert the genre, Isn’t It Romantic? plays the romantic comedy game quite well. There’s chemistry and longing and even a musical number. And if that’s not romantic, it is at least quite cinematic.
Isn’t It Romantic?
Director: Todd Strauss-Schulson
Writer: Erin Cardillo, Dana Fox, Katie Silberman (screenplay), Erin Cardillo (story)
Runtime: 1h 28min
Release Date: February 13, 2019
- Film Review: Birds of Prey - February 7, 2020
- We Discuss Things #30 – A We Discuss Things Christmas Celebration - December 21, 2019
- Film Review: The Lighthouse - October 25, 2019
- Film Review – Zombieland: Double Tap - October 18, 2019
- Film Review: IT Chapter Two - September 6, 2019
- Film Review: Good Boys - August 16, 2019
- Interview: Tyler Nilson and Michael Schwartz of The Peanut Butter Falcon - August 9, 2019
- Film Review: The Peanut Butter Falcon - August 9, 2019
- Film Review: The Kitchen - August 9, 2019
- Required Viewing: Legends of the Fall - August 3, 2019