AAA games continue to be the main driving force in the gaming industry, both in sales and spreading the awareness of this great medium. Indie games have managed to showcase gaming, not just as a wonderful form of entertainment, but one of intriguing art and inspiration.
Ninja Theory is working on its next project, which comes in the form of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice. The upcoming hack and slash adventure game will arrive sometime this year on PS4 and PC. Hellblade features a very unique art style and incredible visuals, the likes of which you have not seen before.
Developers at the studio are hoping to capture the spirit of an indie title with the quality of a AAA experience. Tameem Antoniades, who is the game’s creative director, recently spoke about the direction they wanted to take Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and who their target audience is.
“I think it’s great that now we’ve got an indie revolution coming through. But I also [remember] those days when you could take more risks with high end games. I think if we break the price point and make games cheaper for players and to develop, we can still make AAA looking games but do it cheaper.
“One thing I said early on about Hellblade is what if we made a game that was AAA in quality, half the size, half the price and took a creative risk? Now, we don’t have to sell two million or three million. We can find our niche. In this case, our niche is people who like story-driven adventures,” Antoniades told GameInformer.
Games that only have to sell thousands of units to be profitable take the immediate pressure off of a developer. There seems to be far more room for taking chances creatively. For Ninja Theory, this direction seems to be benefitting their vision of Hellblade in a significant way. Not all games can take this approach as there will always be demand for massive, AAA experiences.
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will launch first on PS4 and PC. The game is likely to land on Xbox One at some point in the future, though no date has been pegged. Hellblade will make its debut later this year. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins – My Last Game Review - November 16, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole is an Experience Gaming Needs More Of - October 23, 2017
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017