The action-adventure genre contains many hit games. Two titles that immediately come to mind though are Tomb Raider and Sony’s first party franchise, Uncharted. Each of these games bring their own flavor to the genre, and they star two of the most iconic heroes gaming has ever seen: Lara Croft and Nathan Drake, respectively.
Crystal Dynamics is the studios behind the Tomb Raider series and the series is alive and better than ever. 2013’s initial release is arguably one of the most triumphant reboots, period. The game put the Tomb Raider series back on the map, and gave new life to its hero Lara Croft.
At the end of 2015, Rise of the Tomb Raider made its debut and was yet another marvelous installment. The game pushed forward so much of what worked in the first game. Here we stand ready for the next helping of Tomb Raider, and Meagan Marie, who is the senior community manager at Crystal Dynamics, spoke about what makes Tomb Raider so successful.
“We look at all aspects of the game through this lens. Survival is implemented through a scrappy combat style, a resourceful approach to puzzles and traversal, and a complex system of collecting resources that feed into an ecosystem of supplies and upgrades. Combine that with one of the most iconic characters in gaming, and we offer something truly unique to fans,” Marie told Gadgets360.
Some folks love to compare Tomb Raider to Uncharted for their similar playstyles and global-trotting nature. Each game is magnificent in their own regard, yet they are plenty different. Both games, and plenty more, can exist within the action-adventure space. There is no reason to have just one mainstay game. Marie spoke about Naughty Dog and how Tomb Raider fits within the genre.
“Naughty Dog is a great studio that makes great games. We’ve carved out a unique space for ourselves within the action-adventure genre, and think it sets us apart by offering something distinct to Crystal Dynamics. We’ve achieved this with the lens of survival, which started as a more thematic treatment in Tomb Raider (2013), but became a systemic driven one in Rise of the Tomb Raider,” Marie said.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is apparently the next game coming in the series. As someone who loves both the 2013 Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider, this third will be exciting to see. The latter made huge leaps from the first game, and we hope to see the same in the third installment.
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is the latest installment in the Sony franchise. It claimed numerous Game of the Year awards and sold millions of copies worldwide. Next up for the series is Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. The game is currently under development, but when it releases is anyone’s guess. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on Uncharted and Tomb Raider.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins – My Last Game Review - November 16, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole is an Experience Gaming Needs More Of - October 23, 2017
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017