Yoros Lanthimos reunites with Colin Farrell, the director and star of The Lobster, respectively, to bring another story of dark and unexpected relationships to the screen. It’s called The Killing of A Sacred Deer and there’s nothing I can really say to prepare you for the experience. But I’ll keep at it for a bit anyway, as this is a film that begs discussion.
Where the last outing between this creative paring found Farrell forced to find love, this plot demands he make an unthinkable choice. Kill one member of your family. Or else watch them die one-by-one from a mysterious medical condition. Why? Revenge of course, but the less you know beyond that, the better.
Those familiar with The Lobster will notice similarities in cadence, stilted language and startlingly honest dialogue. Indeed, this world is similarly colored, in an almost-faded sepia tone. And while it wouldn’t come as a surprise to find that these tales exist in the same universe, you’ll still be left with as many questions as answers, if not more.
The Killing of A Sacred Deer will leave you, at turns, stunned, incredulous, shook, and sometimes incapable of anything but uncomfortable laughter. Farrell, Nicole Kidman and their young co-stars commit to the story so completely that there’s nothing left to do but follow and see where this dark story will lead you. And when you get there, you’ll have more questions.
You might find, as the lights go up, that your mouth is agape, mine was — with wonder or incredulity, I still can’t tell you. All I know is I walked out the theatre doors and began a still-unresolved grappling with what exactly I had witnessed, and as I shared my thoughts out loud with others there I began to realize how many more people I want (or perhaps need) to see this movie so the chatter can carry on.
So go watch, won’t you?
The Killing of A Sacred Deer
Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
Writer: Yorgos Lanthimos, Efthymis Filippou
Runtime: 2h 1min
Release Date: October 27, 2017
Main Image Credit: Courtesy A24
- Film Review: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - November 17, 2017
- Film Review: Justice League - November 17, 2017
- Film Review: Lady Bird - November 17, 2017
- Required Viewing: Lady Bird - November 16, 2017
- Classy AF: Love and Friendship - October 30, 2017
- Film Review: The Killing of A Sacred Deer - October 27, 2017
- Interview: Thank You For Your Service Director Jason Hall - October 25, 2017
- Required Viewing: Interview with the Vampire - October 23, 2017
- Only the Brave Interview: Josh Brolin - October 22, 2017
- Only the Brave Interview: Miles Teller - October 22, 2017