At E3 2016, Microsoft and Compulsion Games wowed the industry with the reveal of We Happy Few. Striking notes similar to BioShock, the game took the industry by storm over a year ago. Since then, the title has been in Early Access and Compulsion is working to ultimately release the title.
Pricing for a game can differ between its Early Access tag and its final price. This seems to be the case for We Happy Few. The developer confirmed its current $29.99 price tag will no longer exist. When the “final release” happens on Aug. 16, the game will retail for $50.99.
Compulsion Games also put out a date for when the “final release” will take place. A week from tomorrow, Aug. 16, is when the release will happen and the price will rise. It is unclear if this will be the actual launch price of the game, but surely Compulsion will update that soon.
The Aug. 16 update is dubbed “The Life in Technicolour” update and delivers new “Joy effects as well as a brand new UI (still WIP), AI rework” and more. A video will pop-up on the 16th to highlight the new changes. Separately, Compulsion provided some sentiments regarding the original pricing for the game on Early Access.
“Since we launched our Kickstarter and released the game on Early Access, We Happy Few has been priced at US$29.99. We have never put it on sale because we believe it isn’t fair for someone to get the game at a lower price than a Kickstarter backer or an Early Access backer while the game is still in development.
“Since 2015, we have made clear that the price would increase as we approach the final release, and that time has – finally – come. On August 16, the price for the game will become US$50.99,” Compulsion wrote.
The studio promises to “explain everything” in greater detail a week from tomorrow. Gamers will find “more to the story,” and new, “juicy” details are coming soon. The studio continued by saying, “We always do our best to be transparent with you guys, so we felt it was important to provide this pricing information with ample time for you to make” a choice.
Fans looking for more details on what the Aug. 16 update will entail can check out Compulsion’s full post. We’ll keep you in the loop with when We Happy Few ultimately launches. In the meantime, stick around here at We Write Things for more on We Happy Few.
- Ubisoft Releases Update 1.7 for Tom Clancy’s The Division - August 17, 2017
- Stunning Indie Game Light Fall Drops March 2018 on PS4, Xbox One & PC - August 17, 2017
- Activision Reveals Call of Duty: WWII Private Multiplayer Beta Dates - August 16, 2017
- WBIE Releases New Shadow of War Tribes Trailer - August 16, 2017
- Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates Releases October on Steam - August 16, 2017
- Dev Announces Raid: World War II’s September PC Release Date - August 16, 2017
- We Happy Few Forgoing Console Exclusivity is a Win for Gamers - August 16, 2017
- God Told Far Cry 5’s Villain The End of The World is Coming - August 15, 2017
- Xbox Acknowledges Xbox One X Pre-Order Frustration, Talks YouTube Streaming - August 15, 2017
- Meet Volition’s New Masterpiece: Agents of Mayhem - August 15, 2017