The ways in which game developers can tell stories varies so much these days. With the many unique genres out there, telling a story is one of the most subjective elements of a game. Naughty Dog is a studio that has all but mastered the art of storytelling. Despite their expertise, they continue to push the limits of what can be done.
Their next release Uncharted: The Lost Legacy will be a new chapter for fans of the series. It will star Chloe Frazer for the first time, and Nadine Ross will also play a huge role. Much like The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC, this expansion will star several female characters. While Left Behind was powerful and beautiful, The Lost Legacy will allow these ladies to kick some major ass.
Naughty Dog is going to be implementing some new storytelling elements in The Lost Legacy. The studio wants the narrative to come across more during gameplay time versus just cutscenes. Naughty Dog writer Shaun Escayg talked about how they have improved the narrative and the ways in which it comes across to the player.
“Well, it’s the sum in as far as taking the best elements from gameplay experiences, but what we’ve done I think specifically in this one is to build on and improve on the narrative within the gameplay, which was key for us. We want the player to never come out of that world, which is one of the reasons why our new open-world setting is so important.
“That sense of wonder of being dropping into the middle of the Western Ghats, like the characters are, you don’t have Nathan Drake with this bible of information who knows where everything is. You have to find these clues and discover as the characters do, which is one of the cool things that I’ve always liked about Uncharted,” Escayg told Dailystar.
Finding secrets and hidden rewards is inherent in the Uncharted series. This will be no different in Naughty Dog’s latest release, nor should it be. Streaking straight through the campaign is certainly an option. However, you will likely miss a ton of context and narrative if you do so.
Sony’s Uncharted series is a reason why PlayStation has become as powerful as it is. Still going strong in its 10th year of existence, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is looking to continue to push gamers and gaming to the limit. The expansion will debut this coming Aug. 22 exclusively for PS4 and PS4 Pro. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on Uncharted.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins – My Last Game Review - November 16, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole is an Experience Gaming Needs More Of - October 23, 2017
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017