The ways in which game developers can tell stories varies so much these days. With the many unique genres out there, telling a story is one of the most subjective elements of a game. Naughty Dog is a studio that has all but mastered the art of storytelling. Despite their expertise, they continue to push the limits of what can be done.
Their next release Uncharted: The Lost Legacy will be a new chapter for fans of the series. It will star Chloe Frazer for the first time, and Nadine Ross will also play a huge role. Much like The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC, this expansion will star several female characters. While Left Behind was powerful and beautiful, The Lost Legacy will allow these ladies to kick some major ass.
Naughty Dog is going to be implementing some new storytelling elements in The Lost Legacy. The studio wants the narrative to come across more during gameplay time versus just cutscenes. Naughty Dog writer Shaun Escayg talked about how they have improved the narrative and the ways in which it comes across to the player.
“Well, it’s the sum in as far as taking the best elements from gameplay experiences, but what we’ve done I think specifically in this one is to build on and improve on the narrative within the gameplay, which was key for us. We want the player to never come out of that world, which is one of the reasons why our new open-world setting is so important.
“That sense of wonder of being dropping into the middle of the Western Ghats, like the characters are, you don’t have Nathan Drake with this bible of information who knows where everything is. You have to find these clues and discover as the characters do, which is one of the cool things that I’ve always liked about Uncharted,” Escayg told Dailystar.
Finding secrets and hidden rewards is inherent in the Uncharted series. This will be no different in Naughty Dog’s latest release, nor should it be. Streaking straight through the campaign is certainly an option. However, you will likely miss a ton of context and narrative if you do so.
Sony’s Uncharted series is a reason why PlayStation has become as powerful as it is. Still going strong in its 10th year of existence, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is looking to continue to push gamers and gaming to the limit. The expansion will debut this coming Aug. 22 exclusively for PS4 and PS4 Pro. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on Uncharted.
- Activision Reveals Call of Duty: WWII Private Multiplayer Beta Dates - August 16, 2017
- WBIE Releases New Shadow of War Tribes Trailer - August 16, 2017
- Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates Releases October on Steam - August 16, 2017
- Dev Announces Raid: World War II’s September PC Release Date - August 16, 2017
- We Happy Few Forgoing Console Exclusivity is a Win for Gamers - August 16, 2017
- God Told Far Cry 5’s Villain The End of The World is Coming - August 15, 2017
- Xbox Acknowledges Xbox One X Pre-Order Frustration, Talks YouTube Streaming - August 15, 2017
- Meet Volition’s New Masterpiece: Agents of Mayhem - August 15, 2017
- Far Cry 5’s Compass Feature Embraces its 360 Degree Mindset - August 14, 2017
- Microsoft Says Windows, Not Xbox One X, is the Best Platform For VR - August 14, 2017