Gaming these days is typically focused on creating experiences that can be iterated upon. Putting investments into one game means establishing a foundation that can be built upon if the title is successful. We’ve already seen this with God of War once, and it seems that Santa Monica wants it to happen again.
From the years 2005 through 2013, Sony Santa Monica released four God of War games. It all began with God of War and concluded with God of War: Ascension. They helped create one of Sony’s most powerful PlayStation brands to date, and the series is still going strong.
A reboot God of War is coming to PS4 early next year, and apparently, it’s just the beginning of what’s to come. God of War director Cory Barlog spoke about the mindset he had when deciding on this new story and how it won’t be encompassed into a single game.
“I will say that when I chose this story, I had chosen it because I already outlined and mapped out stories for multiple games. I have an arc in my head that goes well beyond this game and everything that we are doing in God of War, to me, is very much building towards that,” Barlog told DailyStar.
Iterating and franchising games is very common, if not expected, these days. It would have been unusual if Sony brought back God of War for just a single game. Obviously, we’ll see how the game performs, as that is the strongest indicator of whether or not new releases will come. Nonetheless, Barlog seems to be in it for the long-haul.
“Like you see the second God of War game and it ends with Kratos going up to Olympus. Everybody said that it was the stupidest decision like why are you doing this, nobody wants a cliffhanger ending. But I was like, whatever, this is awesome. This is telling people more to come, this is great. And with this game, I think people know that we’re going to be here for a while. Me personally, I know I’ve got a couple more of these in me,” Barlog said.
Sony is planning to release God of War sometime next year. Early 2018 is the last we heard, but no exact date has been given quite yet. The game will release on PS4 and PS4 Pro when it debuts. I expect a date to be announced when Sony hosts PlayStation Experience 2017 this December. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on God of War.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins – My Last Game Review - November 16, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole is an Experience Gaming Needs More Of - October 23, 2017
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017