Take-Two Interactive is the company that currently owns Rockstar Games. This is, of course, the studio behind popular franchises like Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Bully and many others. Rockstar is working on one of the most anticipated games of 2018, but Take-Two doesn’t have GTA-like expectations for it.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is the next game coming from Rockstar Games. As a result of its latest delay, it is due to release sometime during early next year. The open-world is easily one of the most important games set for release in 2018. It will be the first time gamers have seen the series since 2010.
Expectations for Red Dead Redemption 2 certainly are high, however, they’re not as high as you might think. Take-Two Interactive is the parent company of Rockstar Games, and apparently, they don’t have the highest of expectations. Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick admitted that Red Dead won’t be on the same level as GTA.
“What the team is doing is trying to make the best possible game they can, and if they succeed… Look, the reason, in my opinion, why GTA V has sold 80m units, and GTA Online had another record year 3-and-a-half years since its release, is because it stands alone in the generation.
“In every prior generation, there have been other titles that have clustered around GTA from a quality point-of-view. That’s clearly not the case now. If you are over 17 and you have a new generation console, you have GTA. Otherwise we wouldn’t have shipped 80m units. Can any other title achieve that? It seems unlikely. Do we have incredibly high hopes for Red Dead? We do. But we are not putting it in the context of GTA,” Zelnick told GI.
Selling 80 million units is unbelievable for any franchise, no matter the industry. It is highly unlikely that Red Dead 2 will capture such an audience. However, Rockstar Games is known for its skill in making high-quality, immersive open-worlds that gamers can visit over and over again. Red Dead Online will be a big part in keeping players coming back to the experience long after launch.
The studio somewhat has it down to a science with what they’ve done on GTA Online, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they duplicate their success in Red Dead 2. It seems unlikely to me that the game will launch during the spring of next year, but that’s just my take. Red Dead 2 will launch on PS4 and Xbox One during spring 2018. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on Red Dead.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins – My Last Game Review - November 16, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole is an Experience Gaming Needs More Of - October 23, 2017
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017