Band-Aid, a story about a couple who decide to turn their toxic arguments into fights in an effort to save their marriage, finds Zoe Lister-Jones pulling triple duty as director, writer and star. It’s a fun premise, but as it turns out, watching people fight and sometimes sing fight, but mostly fight, is a bit of a chore. But that’s not to say Band-Aid isn’t well realized. In fact, Lister-Jones and her co-star Adam Pally do an admirable job hitting the wide range of emotional notes the film throws at them. These characters feel like people who’ve known and loved each other for a long time. So long that they might not even remember how they got to this place in the first place.
The dialogue is sharp. It’s harsh and raw. Watching many scenes feels almost like a violation, like spying on a couple in the dark moments that they’d rather not share with the world. Fred Armisen gives a fun turn as the neighbor who gets pulled into all the disfunction and trauma. He’s our parallel and voice — the barometer for when it all gets a little too real.
For anyone who has been in a long-term relationship, Band-Aid reflects the truth that there’s always more to the story. That sometimes there isn’t a simple answer. That once broken, some things can’t be fixed. That sometimes you can love someone, even when you hate them.
Band-Aid isn’t light, or particularly fun viewing. But it’s an honest relationship drama that has resonance, even if getting to the moment of enlightenment is more harrowing than enjoyable.
Director: Zoe-Lister Jones
Writer: Zoe-Lister Jones
Runtime: 1h 31mins
Main Image Credit: Courtesy of IFC Films
- Film Review: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - July 21, 2017
- Film Review: A Ghost Story - July 21, 2017
- Film Review: Dunkirk - July 21, 2017
- Film Review: The Big Sick - July 7, 2017
- Film Review — Spider-Man: Homecoming - July 7, 2017
- Film Review: The Exception - July 4, 2017
- Film Review: Band-Aid - July 4, 2017
- Film Review: The Beguiled - June 30, 2017
- Required Viewing: Clue - June 29, 2017
- Film Review: Baby Driver - June 28, 2017