Price cuts are fairly common for consoles as a generation goes on. PS4 and Xbox One have already seen price drops over the past year or two, and more could be coming soon. With Project Scorpio’s introduction set for this fall, it is highly likely that we’ll see a price cut come to PS4.
For those of you who are thinking about picking up a new PS4 system, the time might not be now. Sony and Microsoft seem to be on pace to drop the price of their consoles this year. PS4, more specifically, will likely face a price drop, particularly when you think about Project Scorpio’s impending launch.
A PS4 price cut seems imminent, but when it’ll happen could be next month or early this fall. In a chat with We Write Things, Michael Goodman, who is the director of digital media strategies at Strategy Analytics, spoke about when he expects Sony to drop the price of the PS4.
“Let’s say for argument sake that Scorpio comes out in September. I think [Sony] announces its price cut in August. [They] want to time their price cut to undercut Microsoft as people are thinking about their buying decision. I think if Sony does it too early, they’re leaving money on the table. I don’t think you’re going to see a price cut [at E3]. I do think you’re going to see a price cut, but just not right now,” Goodman said.
A PS4 price cut will absolutely be best just prior to Project Scorpio’s launch. Both the base PS4 and PS4 Pro should receive price cuts, as they are underpowered and a lower cost will make them all the more attractive to gamers. Scorpio seems like it’ll have a high launch price, so a cheaper PS4 option is smart for Sony.
As console launches go, Microsoft will presumably launch Scorpio in November. Historically, it is a month where new consoles release, and I don’t expect that to change. E3 2017 is when we expect to hear a price and release date for Scorpio. It’ll be interesting to see how Sony positions the PS4 this fall. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on PS4.
- Ubisoft Releases Update 1.7 for Tom Clancy’s The Division - August 17, 2017
- Stunning Indie Game Light Fall Drops March 2018 on PS4, Xbox One & PC - August 17, 2017
- Activision Reveals Call of Duty: WWII Private Multiplayer Beta Dates - August 16, 2017
- WBIE Releases New Shadow of War Tribes Trailer - August 16, 2017
- Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates Releases October on Steam - August 16, 2017
- Dev Announces Raid: World War II’s September PC Release Date - August 16, 2017
- We Happy Few Forgoing Console Exclusivity is a Win for Gamers - August 16, 2017
- God Told Far Cry 5’s Villain The End of The World is Coming - August 15, 2017
- Xbox Acknowledges Xbox One X Pre-Order Frustration, Talks YouTube Streaming - August 15, 2017
- Meet Volition’s New Masterpiece: Agents of Mayhem - August 15, 2017