As video game franchises grow, so do its teams, budgets and overall resources. For any game that experiences success its first time out, the second time seems to always be a far greater effort. This trend does not seem dependent on a franchise, publisher or developer, but more on whether or not a second game happens.
Back in 2013 when the original State of Decay launched, Undead Labs had a modest development team working on the game. Gamers got their hands on the title and it wasn’t long until the game gained a serious following. As a result, it was only a matter of time until a sequel was announced.
Microsoft recognized this and seems to be putting a significant amount of resources into State of Decay 2. Evidence of this will likely show up in marketing for the game, but it is already visible in the size of the development team. Undead Labs’ Jeff Strain confirmed State of Decay 2‘s development team is “about four times as large” as the team that made the first game.
Gaming studios often times become synonymous with a certain type of game. Whether it’s the nature of a world or it’s the genre, a developer can find a sweet spot and stay there. For Undead Labs, they seem to have their niche, but there’s potential for ideas outside of State of Decay.
“When we formed the studio we had State of Decay on mind. I would say that our gig is survival fantasy. That’s what makes State of Decay unique. It’s not zombies; it’s survival fantasy. I think that future projects would probably play into that theme. But no, it’s not necessarily always gonna be zombies,” Strain told GameSpot.
While the future is always a tough conversation to have for a gaming studio, we do know State of Decay 2 is coming this year. Undead Labs is looking to release the game sometime this year, likely around the same time as Project Scorpio. Microsoft will share more details about the game at E3 2017. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on State of Decay 2.
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole is an Experience Gaming Needs More Of - October 23, 2017
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017
- How South Park’s Coon and Friends Episodes Impacted South Park 2 - September 9, 2017