Seasonal beers are surely running wild at breweries near you and the same is true for Sam Adams. The brewery has a slew of seasonal selections for you to choose from. Previously, I had the chance to share some thoughts on their seasonal helles, Fresh As Helles. Today, I am happy to share some positive takeaways from my time with another seasonal, Hopscape.
Hopscape is a wheat ale, but one that is rather unusual when you think about wheats typically brewed. While there are definitely strong characteristics of a wheat beer, Hopscape’s Zeus, Centennial, Citra and Chinook hops all add nuance and personality to the brew.
Sam Adams Hopscape has a darker gold appearance and is comparable to the Helles in regards to alcohol by volume. Hopscape checks in around 5.5 percent in total. This blend of hops creates a more interesting palate for beer drinkers to enjoy. Citra is the hop I can detect the most out of all four, but your palate may tell you different.
I know what you’re thinking. I don’t like hoppy beers and this ruins the one type of beer that is never hoppy. Well, don’t worry because while Hopscape does have a nice set of hops, the palate still rests firmly within the realm of a wheat beer. I think wheat beer drinks will find the ale to be a nice surprise, particularly when compared to other wheats out there.
Sam Adams Hopscape contains a high level of drinkability and is yet another beer you can have multiple bottles of in one sitting, and not have your palate completely destroyed. The beer strikes me as one that fits well with the summertime or warmer months of the year.
However, Sam Adams is only offering the beer from late December through late February. Perhaps this will change in the future because I believe Hopscape fits well with the months upcoming. Sam Adams Hopscape is an interesting, tasty take on both the wheat and pale families of beer, and will please those looking for something a little different.
Seasonal brews are aplenty in the craft beer industry, so support your local brewery and find out what’s new on tap. Stick around here at We Write Things for much more on craft beer.
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017
- How South Park’s Coon and Friends Episodes Impacted South Park 2 - September 9, 2017
- Assassin’s Creed Origins Dev on Bayek and Aya Birthing the Brotherhood - September 9, 2017
- Assassin’s Creed Origins Director Calls Xbox One X Version ‘Most Beautiful Version’ - September 8, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole Embraces Farts Like Never Before - September 8, 2017
- Hands-On: Assassin’s Creed Origins Feels Incredibly Unfamiliar & That’s Amazing - September 6, 2017
- Knack 2 Shows What Sony Learned From The Order: 1886 - September 5, 2017
- Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 1 – A New Love Awakens - September 1, 2017
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a Breakout Switch Exclusive - August 28, 2017