E3 2017 will be a very intriguing event this year. There will be a ton of new hardware shown off and the same will be said for software. Publishers from around the world will gather and perhaps Sony will have one of the most intriguing E3’s of any other company.
Last year, Sony launched PSVR as well as PS4 Pro. Their new hardware is available and now it seems the company will focus on software. While hardware might be a small emphasis for Sony, software will likely be the main focus at E3.
Games like God of War, Days Gone, Death Stranding and others were at E3 2016. It is fair to expect them to show up at this year’s E3, and even have some release dates with them. In an interview with We Write Things, Michael Goodman, who is the director of digital media strategies at Strategy Analytics, talked about what he’s expecting from Sony at E3 2017.
“In some ways, Sony’s E3 is one of the most interesting ones because they don’t have something specific. Last year, there was their new hardware coming out. I think they’re going to go back to a more traditional mid-stage sort of E3 for Sony where it is about the software. I do not anticipate them doing any new hardware [announcements].
“You might see a price cut on PSVR. Price cuts could be the lead story, but the biggest story is going to be the software that is coming out. [Sony] has their hardware in place and now they’ve got to get the software singing. Sony’s E3 is going to be all about the software. I do think it could get buried a bit because hardware can trump software,” Goodman said.
Considering Microsoft is launching Project Scorpio this holiday season, PS4 price cuts are possible. What better way for Sony to steal Microsoft’s thunder than by price cutting PS4, PS4 Pro or PSVR? I fully expect a cut to come to at least the base PS4 and PSVR.
Sony’s fall 2017 lineup is unknown, as it is for most publishers today, but E3 will reveal a lot. Between games like God of War, Days Gone and Dreams, Sony will likely have a strong fall showing. E3 2017 will take place from Tuesday, June 13 through Thursday, June 15. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on PlayStation.
- Rumor: PS4 & PS4 Pro Will Be Lead Marketing Platforms For Far Cry 5 - May 22, 2017
- Rockstar Delays Red Dead Redemption 2, Launching Spring 2018 - May 22, 2017
- Review: Tequila Ocho 2016 Puerta del Aire Plata – A Vintage Marvel - May 22, 2017
- Bungie Talks Destiny 2 On PC: It’s Not A Console Port - May 21, 2017
- Assassin’s Creed: Origins Will Be A Fresh Start For The Franchise - May 20, 2017
- Housemarque Announces Nex Machina Release Date - May 19, 2017
- Activision & Bungie Reveal Destiny 2 Gameplay, Campaign, Multiplayer & More - May 19, 2017
- Three Lazy Magnolia Beers That Will Drive You To The Liquor Store - May 19, 2017
- New Life Is Strange Game Confirmed By DONTNOD Entertainment - May 18, 2017
- Review: The Surge – For The Core, For The Dedicated - May 18, 2017