This past November, PS4 Pro launched across the world and introduced an incredibly powerful new console to the gaming industry. Since then, we’ve yet to see how the system can truly be taken advantage of, but fear not PS4 Pro owners, that could soon be ending.
Today, Warner Bros. announced Middle-earth: Shadow of War for PS4 Pro as well as Xbox One, Windows 10 and PC. The game will arrive this coming Aug. 22, which is much sooner than some may have thought. This announcement is huge for PS4 Pro owners because it marks the beginning of a shift.
Publishers have yet to use PS4 Pro or Project Scorpio as points of emphasis when talking about their upcoming games. Warner Bros. is one of the first to squarely feature PS4 Pro as one of the systems that is receiving an upcoming game like Shadow of War. This will be something you gradually see more of as the year wears on.
Considering the fact that PS4 Pro is the Sony’s most powerful platform, it makes sense for Warner Bros. to call it out specifically. The same can be said for Microsoft’s upcoming system, Project Scorpio. WBIE’s Shadow of War will receive its gameplay reveal on March 8, showing us exactly what this game will look like.
Until now, it has pretty much been Sony first party games putting a greater emphasis on features for PS4 Pro versions of games, though there are patches for many already available third party games. However, there has been no major third party emphasis on showcasing new and upcoming games running on PS4 Pro.
It is quite fair to expect many third party publishers to now follow suit in emphasizing PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio in their announcements. I half expect to see Shadow of War‘s gameplay reveal as one running on PS4 Pro. With more powerful systems out there now, it makes all the marketing sense in the world to showcase gameplay running on those systems. After all, that is what players want to see.
Microsoft will of course be showing its games running on Project Scorpio later this year, so third party publishers will likely be doing the same. While it’s not practical to expect 2017 games to take full advantage of PS4 Pro’s capability, Shadow of War should be a considerable step up.
Shadow of War is the sequel to the 2013 hit game Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. The new game will release this coming Aug. 22 for PS4 Pro, Project Scorpio, Xbox One, PS4, Windows 10 and PC. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on PS4.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins – My Last Game Review - November 16, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole is an Experience Gaming Needs More Of - October 23, 2017
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017