State of Decay is a game that took the industry by surprise when it arrived in 2013. The game proved to be a smash success and Microsoft is bringing the next installment in the franchise out later this year. Undead Labs is the developer behind State of Decay 2 and they are ready to bring the game’s storytelling forward.
The original State of Decay contained plenty of personal moments and experiences. With how choices could affect your game, it was hard not to be captivated by the consequences of your decisions. Undead Labs and Microsoft want to take that dynamic and evolve it to the next stage.
The game is looking to push its narrative implementation in a direction you might not expect. Jeff Strain, who is an executive producer on State of Decay 2, spoke about bringing ideas together from the first game into the second.
“One of the things we explored with the original game is this feeling of creating bases and communities. Everybody has their own agenda and their own ideas, desires and impulses. You saw that modeled in the game. Sometimes you’d come in and play and somebody would’ve stolen all of your stuff and taken off because they got angry with you or something. We really wanted to take that to the next level.
“One of the big areas of innovation beyond the cooperative multiplayer aspect of it is what we call Dynamic Narrative. This is bringing the social and community aspects of the game into the overall simulation. [This is done] in the same way we do zombie behavior and modeling the overall state of the world. It really makes for some phenomenal storytelling,” Strain said in a new video.
Xbox’s State of Decay 2 will be one of Microsoft’s most important titles this year. With Halo Wars 2 out this coming week, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves are the remaining big guns for Microsoft. This will be an interesting year for the company, particularly since no new Halo or Gears titles are coming. Some expected Halo 6 to make its debut this year, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
We’ll learn more about State of Decay 2 at E3 2017. Microsoft is hosting their press conference on Sunday, June 11 at 2 p.m. PT. State of Decay 2 will be coming to Xbox One, Windows 10 and Project Scorpio. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on State of Decay 2.
- Review: Tequila Ocho 2016 Puerta del Aire Plata – A Vintage Marvel - May 22, 2017
- Bungie Talks Destiny 2 On PC: It’s Not A Console Port - May 21, 2017
- Assassin’s Creed: Origins Will Be A Fresh Start For The Franchise - May 20, 2017
- Housemarque Announces Nex Machina Release Date - May 19, 2017
- Activision & Bungie Reveal Destiny 2 Gameplay, Campaign, Multiplayer & More - May 19, 2017
- Three Lazy Magnolia Beers That Will Drive You To The Liquor Store - May 19, 2017
- New Life Is Strange Game Confirmed By DONTNOD Entertainment - May 18, 2017
- Review: The Surge – For The Core, For The Dedicated - May 18, 2017
- There It Is, South Park: The Fractured But Whole Launches This October - May 17, 2017
- New We Happy Few Exclusive: Drugs, Masks & A Procedurally Generated City - May 17, 2017