The video game industry is one that continues to evolve as each year comes and goes. There are new trends, business models and games that emerge throughout every calendar year. What is perhaps most endearing about video games is how much they can change within a year, while still remaining one of the most powerful, productive industries in the world.
This past year was yet another exceptional one for the video games industry. Loads of major titles made their debut, while gamers saw the release of new hardware. As it is now final, the ESA is confirming video games generated a total of $30.4 billion during 2016.
“2016 heralded a radical transformation in how consumers engage with our industry’s products and delivery methods for those video games – through virtual, augmented and mixed realities, new consoles, and mobile games blending with the real world for hundreds of millions of gamers…This record growth was evident last month when, in conjunction with NPD, ESA announced that the U.S. video game industry generated a record-breaking $30.4 billion in 2016,” ESA wrote.
This is indeed a slight increase from the $30.2 sales figure from 2015. ESA partly attributes the success to games like Madden, Battlefield, Call of Duty and The Division.
2017 is setting up to be a major year for video games once more. Marquee games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect Andromeda and others will release. Additionally, new hardware from Nintendo will make its debut next month. Microsoft is also bringing the new console Project Scorpio to gamers later this year.
ESA went onto state that two-thirds of Americans play—or started playing again—video games in 2016. The combination of mobile, console, VR and many other platforms all make it so anyone can game. No matter who you are, there is a platform and a game for you.
This coming June will see the return of E3, ESA’s annual tradeshow. E3 2017 will be a bit different as the show will be open to the public for the first time ever. E3 2017 will run from June 13-15, with press conferences expected on June 11 and June 12. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on video games.
- Assassin’s Creed Empire Will Be A Project Scorpio Showcase Title - March 29, 2017
- PS4 Pro And Project Scorpio Can’t Fix Cross-Gen Development Problem, Says Dev - March 28, 2017
- Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Safe Houses Detailed By CI Games - March 28, 2017
- New RPG Outward Exclusive: A Bit of Borderlands And Fallout With Some Local Co-Op - March 28, 2017
- Review: Rock N Roll Tequila – A Trio of Tantalizing Tequilas - March 27, 2017
- Celebrate St. Patty’s Day With Tasty Recipes From Maker’s Mark and Tres Agaves - March 17, 2017
- CD Projekt RED Expects Cyberpunk 2077 To Outsell The Witcher 3 - March 16, 2017
- Review: Styx: Shards of Darkness – Goblin Be Stealthy - March 16, 2017
- Nex Machina No Longer PS4 Exclusive, Launches On PC This Summer - March 14, 2017
- Mass Effect Andromeda Launches In A Week And Its Launch Trailer Is Epic - March 13, 2017