When looking at Microsoft and Sony’s platforms especially, most experiences are geared toward a more adult audience. Nintendo is a firm that frequently creates experiences for gamers of all ages. Back in the Nintendo 64 era, games like Banjo-Kazooie were some of the most popular and Playtonic Games hopes to bring that style of game back to life.
The studio’s upcoming game Yooka-Laylee is a open-world platformer, a genre N64 gamers will surely recognize from that time period. Its inspiration is Banjo-Kazooie and a lot of the aesthetic of Yooka-Laylee comes from that franchise.
The world is colorful and wondrous, and this strikes many of the tones synonymous with the N64 generation. In an exclusive interview with We Write Things, Andy Robinson, who is the communications director for the studio, spoke about the impact he hopes Yooka-Laylee will have on gaming.
“We hope that it further enforces gaming as the vibrant canvass where lots of different types of games can be successful and find an audience. It’s really pleasing to see other platform games on the horizon such as Crash Bandicoot and Hat in Time. Hopefully we can collectively kick-start a genre revival!” Robinson said.
Platforming games certainly still have a place in gaming, and hopefully we’ll see more of these experiences. It seems as though a new open-world platformer from the Mario series is coming from Nintendo. It is not for sure, but signs are certainly pointing to that happening.
Yooka-Laylee will be a pleasant change from many of the games we’ll see this spring. The title will hopefully provide a shot in the arm for the platforming genre, and inspire more games like it. The game will launch on April 11 for PS4, Xbox One and PC. Stick around here at We Write Things for more from our interview with Playtonic Games.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins – My Last Game Review - November 16, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole is an Experience Gaming Needs More Of - October 23, 2017
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017