Since Yooka-Laylee began its Kickstarter a few years back, it has been a long journey for the developers at Playtonic Games. Their work on the upcoming open-world platformer Yooka-Laylee is nearly complete. The folks at Playtonic have been through a lot, and the time for launch is nearly here.
While gamers will experience Yooka-Laylee in a matter of three months or so, there is still big news yet to reveal. Nintendo Switch will take center stage in a few days, and many expect the open-world platformer to be in attendance.
It feels good for the studio to have a date out in the open, but there is more to come. Speaking with We Write Things, Andy Robinson, who is the communications director for Playtonic Games, spoke about what it means to have a release date for Yooka-Laylee and then teased upcoming news.
“It feels amazing to finally see the game in near-finished form and we’re all looking forward to seeing what fans think. It’s been an incredible effort from the team, who came together at the same time as our first project being in development and we’re very proud of what we were able to create as a small but experienced indie team. There’s lots more to show over the coming months!” Robinson said.
Thursday’s Nintendo Switch event will be a landmark day for both Nintendo and video games. Loads of new games and news will pass and it could even be a big day for Playtonic.
For those who are curious about playthrough lengths in Yooka-Laylee, Playtonic is not giving exact times out as of now. However, the game is open-world, so it is fair to expect dozens and dozens of hours. Robinson spoke about playthrough lengths in Yooka-Laylee.
“It’s very difficult to gauge an ‘average’ playthrough as there are so many different routes through the game. One of our core design goals for Yooka-Laylee was to empower players to make their own choices in how they progress through their adventure, and so depending on which moves you unlock and which worlds you expand it could take varying lengths of time to get to the end of the game,” Robinson said.
Many open-world games vary greatly when it comes to the length of a playthrough. With side missions, collectibles and hidden secrets, open-worlds tend to run longer than other games. Additionally, each playthrough length is subjective to the person playing. For this reason, it is hard to pin Yooka-Laylee down to a specific number.
We’ll all learn more about playthrough times when the game launches on April 11. The game will be available on PS4, Xbox One and PC. Stick around here at We Write Things for more from our interview with Playtonic.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins Is The Best Looking Game On Xbox One X - June 22, 2017
- Far Cry 5’s American Debut Comes At Exactly The Right Time - June 22, 2017
- Review: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal Beers – Part II - June 22, 2017
- Review: George Remus Straight Bourbon Whiskey – A Whiskey Lover’s Delight - June 21, 2017
- Xbox One Executive Calls $499 Xbox One X Price ‘An Incredible Value’ - June 20, 2017
- PS4 Boss Teases Exclusives Launching During First Half 2018 - June 19, 2017
- Destiny 2 Plays, Looks & Runs Amazing On PC - June 19, 2017
- Perception Grants A New Lens For Experiencing Terror & Adventure - June 16, 2017
- Call of Duty: WWII Delivers What Gamers Wanted In A Massive Way - June 16, 2017
- PS4 Exclusive Days Gone Gives Players Alternate Paths To Success - June 15, 2017