It has been a long journey for the developers at Playtonic Games. Their journey started with the Kickstarter to help get their new project Yooka-Laylee off the ground. Gamers arrived in droves to support the title, and now, a release date is finally in sight for the upcoming platformer.
Team17 and Playtonic Games announced Yooka-Laylee will make its debut on April 11, 2017. The game will launch on PS4, Xbox One and PC, though Wii U isn’t receiving it anymore. Yooka-Laylee‘s release date is exciting for gamers. Purchasing the game will only run folks $39.99. The game will be sold in physical versions for PS4 and Xbox One only.
The news of Nintendo’s four year-old platform no longer being supported may rattle the cages of some. However, it is not surprising at all. This is particularly true when you think about the fact that Nintendo Switch will launch during March 2017. Playtonic’s Gavin Price spoke about the news of Wii U being dropped.
“We’re sad to announce that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we have encountered unforseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release Yooka-Laylee on Wii U as initially planned. We can however confirm today that we are working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch.
“We’re thrilled to be able to explore the opportunity and more details will be shared in early 2017. Of course, any backers who pledged for the Wii U version will be able to move their pledge to any of the versions launching on April 11th or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017. Thanks again for your incredible support,” Price said.
Nintendo is holding its Nintendo Switch event on Jan. 12, 2017 at 8pm PT. There may be the chance that more information is revealed about Yooka-Laylee‘s presence on the Switch then. One would presume the upcoming game won’t launch on Switch by the April 11 release date, but that’s unconfirmed.
Gamers who pre-order Yooka-Laylee will gain immediate access to the Toybox demo. This lends a sample of the game mechanics players can expect when the game arrives next year. Also, a new world called Capital Cashino has been revealed. You can check it out in the trailer below:
“As with all the five worlds in Yooka-Laylee, this visually striking new world will be fully expandable, providing players with a whole new area to explore and challenges to complete, with an exciting gameplay twist; players must now compete to win casino tokens, and exchange them with the banker for pivotal Pagies!” Team17 wrote.
Yooka-Laylee will launch on April 11, 2017. The game will come to PS4, Xbox One and PC at launch, with a Nintendo Switch release expected sometime as well. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on Yooka-Laylee.
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017
- How South Park’s Coon and Friends Episodes Impacted South Park 2 - September 9, 2017
- Assassin’s Creed Origins Dev on Bayek and Aya Birthing the Brotherhood - September 9, 2017