There are some games out there that are just going to garner massive sales when they launch. Franchises like Halo, Uncharted, The Legend of Zelda and so many others are automatic sellers. Rockstar Games has a few they can throw out there too such as Grand Theft Auto and possibly now, Red Dead Redemption.
Rockstar released Red Dead Redemption back in 2010 and it was a hit across all gaming circles. Ultimately, the title has sold more than 14 million units since then. The title performed so well that Red Dead Redemption 2 is quickly becoming one of the most anticipate games of 2017, and that says a lot.
There are a number of big hitters releasing next year, particularly in the first three months, but Red Dead Redemption 2 might still top them all. In an exclusive interview with We Write Things, Michael Goodman, who is the director of digital media strategies at Strategy Analytics, spoke about the release date prospects for the upcoming open-world game.
“Whether or not Red Dead 2 fits within a certain launch window, this is a must-have title and it doesn’t matter when [Rockstar Games] launches it. It can take on all-comers in fourth quarter or there is other stuff in fourth quarter that might hurt sales a bit. If that’s the case then they’ll have to take a look and say, ‘well, am I better off launching it during a different time of the year?'” Goodman said.
Personally, Red Dead Redemption 2 is safe from other games taking sales away from it. The gaming community has been looking forward to this game for years. That said, it wouldn’t hurt to release the upcoming title during a time when there aren’t as many games releasing around it, as Goodman stated.
“People talk about the second quarter being a dead period for games, but I think it’s more of a function of companies haven’t launched product then. It’s not necessarily that people won’t spend in the second quarter, it’s that games haven’t launched in the second quarter,” Goodman said.
Microsoft is a company that’s making the switch to spacing out its launches. We’ll first see this new strategy when Halo Wars 2 launches this coming Feb. 21. Rockstar Games certainly spaces out their releases, probably too much, but Goodman likes their approach.
“I think one of, and I’m borrowing a page from Microsoft when I talk about this, I just quite frankly think it makes sense. [Rockstar Games] is trying to spread out their launches instead of trying to dump everything in the fourth quarter. They’re are only so many dollars to be had where if you just spread [out the releases], you’ll quite frankly find that much more success,” Goodman said.
Red Dead Redemption 2 will debut Fall 2017. The game will release for PS4 and Xbox One, sorry PC gamers. I expect the game to debut on PC not too long after it hits consoles though. Stick around here at We Write Things for more on Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins – My Last Game Review - November 16, 2017
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole is an Experience Gaming Needs More Of - October 23, 2017
- Sledgehammer Games Calls PS4 Pro & Xbox One X ‘Truly Incredible’ - October 9, 2017
- Armored Division is The Support Class in Call of Duty: WWII - October 9, 2017
- Rockstar Games Reveals New Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - September 28, 2017
- Discover History With Assassin’s Creed Origins New Mode - September 28, 2017
- Ghost Recon Wildlands’ PvP Mode ‘Ghost War’ Release Date Revealed - September 27, 2017
- Ubisoft Confirms South Park: The Fractured But Whole is Now Golden - September 25, 2017
- I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is Phenomenal - September 16, 2017
- Taking A Deep Dive Into The Fractured But Whole, South Park Style - September 15, 2017